Friday, July 04, 2008

Mid-term blues

Three months have passed since my arrival in Romania. Time for an evaluation. Last week we spent six days with all the volunteers of our project in holiday resort Moneasa, for a midterm training. A kind of Babylonian garden, part two. Fresh air, forests, hills, and a swimmingpool without water on the day I wanted to swim. I will spare you the details of flip charts, markers, coffee breaks, teambuilding games and the extensive lunches. You can imagine the evenings, filled with social gatherings, more alcohol, philosophic conversations, football (yes, Russia was the better team) and dancing in a cheesy and worn out club.

More interesting might be my personal evaluation. Am I still glad I decided to come to Romania? Will I manage until september? Yes, but... Is my stay here what I expected it to be? Yes and no. It is clear that life here follows high peaks and deep valleys. Currently I'm slightly fed up with false expectations, extreme flexibility, frustrated projects,political games, no running water when it's over 30 degrees, and -since the holiday started- an atmosphere of complete passivity and boredom. On the other hand, i know that perspectives may change very rapidly. One succesful activity can change our world. And fortunately there is still the joy of the little things.

Or is it just my birthday coming up?

No comments: